Archive for the ‘Indian Ocean’ category

INJURED – 5 August 2012 – St Leu, Reunion, Indian Ocean – surfer injured

7 August, 2012

St Leu surf point break on Reunion. A surfer had his hand and foot severed by a shark while surfing here on 5 August 2012.

A 40-year-old surfer referred to only as Fabien by linfo was attacked by a shark while surfing at St Leu point break on the west coast of Reunion island in the Indian Ocean. According to the report the shark severed (sectionnés) his foot and hand. Whether they were completely severed is not clear. The incident happened around 5.15pm local time on Saturday 5 August 2012. It is the first recorded shark attack at St Leu.

He managed to get away from the shark and other surfers nearby helped him to the shore. He was helped by a doctor who was on the beach at the time and then taken to Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Saint-Pierre where he had emergency surgery to treat his wounds.

No other details were reported.

This is the second attack in Reunion waters in 2 weeks (the attack on 23 July 2012 at Trois Bassins was fatal) and has sparked a debate on the island about hunting sharks. St Leu is in a marine reserve.

Sources:
Linfo
The Australian

PIC Source:
FlowersWay

FATAL – 23 July 2012 – Trois-Bassins, Reunion island – surfer attacked

25 July, 2012

Trois-Bassins surf spot on Reunion – the scene of a fatal shark attack on a surfer on Monday 23 July 2012.

Reports with few details say Alexandre Rassica, 22, a resident of La Reunion, died from his wounds after a shark bit through his leg while he was surfing at popular surf spot Trois-Bassins, on Reunion island.

According to media other surfers managed to bring him to shore but were unable to resuscitate him after he suffered a cardiac arrest.

He was surfing 100 metres offshore when the attack took place on Monday morning 23 July 2012.

No other details were reported.

Sources:
Reuters
Transworld Surf

PIC source:
Magic Seaweed

UPDATE to FATAL shark attack on surfer at KOEEL BAY, outside Cape Town, South Africa – 19 April 2012

20 April, 2012

The shark responsible for the attack – shot by Sven Thoresen shortly after the attack and uploaded to Twitter. @sven110975

It was like someone pushed a button to turn the sea from a clear blue to dark red, that’s how quickly he was losing blood from the wound.

David Lilienfeld, 20, was killed by a shark while bodyboarding at Koeel Bay (Kogel Baai), near Cape Town, South Africa. The shark is presumed to be a great white 4-5 metres long. There were two sharks in the area when the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) boat arrived on the scene.

The attack took place at a surf spot called Caves at Koeel Bay in the afternoon of Thursday 19 April 2012.

Lilienfeld was a Springbok bodyboarder and placed 5th in the South African bodyboarding championships in 2011.

Image

David Lilienfeld surfing at Camps Bay, Cape Town

A witness to the attack said the shark repeatedly attacked Lilienfeld. His leg was severed in the ordeal as he tried to fight off the shark with his bodyboard.

Lilienfled was pulled from the water by his brother. He was confirmed dead on the scene by rescue personnel.

A witness who was had just come in from a surf and was on the beach at the time of the attack told the press the surf was “really fun”. He had gone in and was sitting on the beach when “I saw a huge dorsal fin of a shark surface near to the two bodyboarders, and close in on them.”

He said Lilienfeld tried to fight off the shark by pushing his bodyboard between himself and the great white, but “the shark kept coming back, a second and I think a third time, before it got his leg. It was like someone pushed a button to turn the sea from a clear blue to dark red, that’s how quickly he was losing blood from the wound.”

“I think it took about 8 minutes to get the young bodyboarder to shore, but you could already tell by that time that he’d lost a lot of blood.”

The witness told ZigZag that he had been surfing at Koeel Bay for the past 19 years “but something doesn’t feel right there anymore”.

“I’ve got a feeling I am going to regret coming down to the beach for this surf for a long time. The visual memory of the bodyboarder being attacked is going to be stuck in the back of my mind and although I’ve often surfed Caves alone, I don’t think I will be doing that anymore – at least for a long time to come.”

“It was a horror show. It looked like something from the Jaws movie.”

Chumming debate
A serious debate that has been ongoing for some time about chumming — throwing blood and guts into — the water in the vicinity where the attack took place  to attract sharks for shark cage diving and documentary filming has come to the fore in South Africa following this tragic incident. For more on the debate read this article in ZigZag.

The City of Cape Town released a report of the attack – in an effort to clarify exacty what happened and also weigh in on the chumming debate.
Report and Review of Events at Kogel Bay “Caves” After Great White Shark Attack

Sources:

News24

ZigZag

Wavescape

PIC Source:
Sixty40

Shark pic via ZigZag|
Shot by Sven Thoresen and uploaded to Twitter. @sven110975

FATAL – 19 September 2011 — Boucan Canot beach, Reunion – surfer attacked

27 September, 2011

Boucan Canot beach, Reunion. -- Photo credit: Philippe Amiot

Mathieu Schiller, 32, was dragged off his surfboard while surfing off Boucan Canot beach on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion. The attack by a tiger shark reportedly lasted less than 30 seconds. His body was not recovered.

The incident happened on Monday 19 September 2011.

Schiller, a European team body boarding champion in 1995, was surfing with a group of surfers when the attack happened.

Witness report:

There were around 20 people in shallow water and about five surfers out deeper when it happened.

We saw the shark’s nose emerge and then the man just vanished. It was very sudden, then the animal just swam off.

According to other witness accounts the shark circled Schiller before moving in “with terrifying speed”.

Witness report:

I was waiting for a wave with my feet in the water. We saw the shark and the next thing I knew was that he screamed and raised his arm.

We then saw a cloud of red blood in the water where he had been.

Reports differ about what happened next. Some say the surfers then managed to get Schiller, who was suffering from a gaping wound in his leg, back onto his board. One  report says that the shark, which had become frenzied because of blood in the water, returned and hit the surfboard, knocking the victim back into the water. Another report says that a wave hit the board and Schiller fell off and disappeared beneath the surface.

Rescuers in a dinghy searching later for the body reported that a 4 metre bull shark had struck the dinghy trying to overturn it.

Sources:
The Local

EuroSport Yahoo

Mail Online

PIC Source:
The Local

UPDATE – 2nd FATAL shark attack at Anse Lazio, Praslin, Seychelles – 16 August 2011 – snorkeller attacked

17 August, 2011
Anse Lazio, Seychelles - scence of two fatal shark attacks

The beautiful Anse Lazio, Praslin island, Seychelles - scene of two fatal shark attacks in 16 days.

UPDATE:
22 August 2011

Just to clarify, following conflicting reports, Ian Redmond was bitten on the back and arm, not on the leg as initially reported.

Also, researchers from South Africa’s Natal Sharks Board have examined a tooth that was embedded in the wound. They say the tooth is from a great white about 10 foot long.

UPDATE:
19 August 2011.
BBC News online has a moving piece quoting the widow of Ian Redmond who died in the attack.

—————-

We have more details of this second fatal shark attack at Anse Lazio, Seychelles, widely recognised as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world

A British tourist Ian Martin Redmond, 30, died from a massive wound on his left leg after being bitten by a shark while snorkelling about 20 metres off Anse Lazio on Praslin Island in the Seychelles.

He was just married and was on honeymoon with his wife who was on the beach at the time of the attack.

It is not known what type of shark it was – although people commenting on SharkAttackMonitor suggest it was a either a bull shark or tiger shark, both of which are found around Seychelles.

A witness on the beach at the time of the incident

Anse Lazio is regarded as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Anse Lazio (the beach on the left) is regarded as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

described the scene in a comment to SharkAttackMonitor.

I was seated on the beach when a lady beside me starting shouting something and pointing towards the water … I could see someone in the water with a mask and snorkel about 20 yards offshore.

Dinghies launched from both catamarans [anchored in the bay]. They circled the swimmer and pulled him into one of the dinghies.

He said when the dinghy landed on the beach he saw the shark attack victim in the boat “who was missing a huge chunk of flesh from his left leg, so much so that I could see the bone of his thigh”.

He was sickeningly pale, but still had his flippers on both feet. At this point a woman ran over and started screaming… she said “that’s my husband! We were just married…”

I wanted to burst into tears. People all over the beach where just hugging whoever was close to them or squatting in the sand pulling on their hair, or trying to keep any children from witnessing what was going on.

After some time, perhaps 5 minutes I saw someone doing chest compressions and that’s when I knew this was a fatal attack.

He said an ambulance arrived at the scene 30-40 minutes after the attack took place.

According to a report on Sky News online the Seychelles government issued a statement after an emergency meeting last night saying that “with immediate effect, the Seychelles Maritime Safety Administration has issued a temporary ban on swimming or entering the water in certain bays of the island of Praslin and islands off the coast of Praslin following two fatal shark attacks this month in the northwest area of the island”.

The report also said officials have reinforced a ban on the dumping of waste from yachts and other boats into coastal waters to prevent sharks being lured to beach areas.

Some people writing to SharkAttackMonitor after the first fatal attack at Anse Lazio on 1 August 2011 said crew had been dumping waste off boats anchored in the bay and that this had attracted the shark into shallow waters.

Sources:
Sky News

PIC Sources:
Seychelles-islands-beaches.com
Flikr – Stewart Morris photostream


FATAL – 2nd fatal shark attack on snorkeller at Anse Lazio, Seychelles – 16 August 2011 – witness account

16 August, 2011

This is a witness account (from one of several comments to SharkAttackMonitor ) of the second fatal shark attack in 16 days at Anse Lazio, Praslin, Seychelles which took place today – 16 August 2011. Original comments are attached to this post:   http://wp.me/pMcbs-eH 

This witness account is from Ian who was on the beach when the attack took place.

I just wanted to give my account of what happened today. I was standing right on the beach during the whole thing. I am an American on honeymoon and decided to go to Anse Lazio because all the guide books say it is the best snorkeling in Seychelles. I had no idea there was a shark attack at this very beach earlier this month. It seems utterly unfathomable that 2 attacks in 1 month could occur on the ‘same’ beach.

This is everything I can remember…

I was seated on the beach when a lady beside me starting shouting something and pointing towards the water. I speak French and English and didn’t recognize it, but I think she was probably yelling that she saw fins?? Her husband ran towards the water and began waving at the nearby catamaran docked about 30 yards offshore. I could see someone in the water with a mask and snorkel about 20 yards offshore.

I didn’t know what was going on, but people started crowding around the edge of the water, and then dinghies launched from both catamarans. They circled the swimmer and pulled him into one of the dinghies.

At this point I thought maybe the swimmer had simply been too tired and called for rescue? Or maybe he had been stung by a sea urchin or something.

This is where honestly my nerves/emotions kicked in and my recollection may not be 100% accurate. I just want to write what I ‘feel’ I witnessed.

I believe the dinghy ended up taking the swimmer ‘back’ to the catamaran. It felt like there were nearly 10 or 15 minutes where people were just standing around on the beach, staring at the water and most of us were wondering what had just happened. Eventually the dinghy began heading back towards the beach. When it landed, many of the men on the beach ran up to help pull the dinghy to shore. This is when I saw the swimmer, who was missing a huge chunk of flesh from his left leg, so much so that I could see the bone of his thigh. He was sickeningly pale, but still had his flippers on both feet. At this point a woman ran over and started screaming… she said “that’s my husband! We were just married…”

I wanted to burst into tears. People all over the beach where just hugging whoever was close to them or squatting in the sand pulling on their hair, or trying to keep any children from witnessing what was going on.

After a few minutes some men moved him to the shore, I believe they tried to put a tourniquet on his leg, and I thought I saw a saline drip. At one point a man rushed over to help, I assume he was a doctor… I saw someone had a saline drip and they were elevating his right (uninjured) leg presumably to preserve blood.

After some time, perhaps 5 minutes I saw someone doing chest compressions and that’s when I knew this was a fatal attack. The ambulance arrived around 5 or 10 minutes even later than that (a full 30 to 40 minutes from the time of the accident).

I am so deeply saddened for the loss of the young woman. I had been snorkeling in the same area not 30 minutes before and was seconds away from actually jumping in the water to snorkel again (with my wife!) when the accident happened. I feel so lucky to be alive right now, I have never experienced anything like this.

My heart goes out to all those who were affected by today’s tragedy.

UPDATE – Seychelles FATAL shark attack – 1 August 2011

11 August, 2011

This is just a brief update to this story which has received a lot of attention on the SharkAttackMonitor.

The Shark Attack File names the victim who died following a shark attack at Anse Lazio, Praslin, Seychelles as Nicolas Virolle, age 36.

From a series of witness accounts it is clear that he was snorkelling off Anse Lazio on Praslin island, Seychelles when the attack took place around 3.30pm on Monday 1 August 2011.

It is not known what species of shark it was or how big it was.

He suffered a massive bite to his left thigh – from the knee to the hip exposing the bone. He was brought ashore by two Seychellois in a small boat. It appears he died from blood loss before an ambulance could get to the scene.

Some locals say the shark was attracted into the bay by fish waste that was thrown overboard from boats anchored off Anse Lazio.


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 289 other followers